Tuesday, June 15, 2010

THE FUR THAT MURDERED LOVE

The former obnoxious environmentalist in me has appeared in the last couple of posts and apparently he's here to stay for a bit.  I've been thinking about how difficult it is to draw an artist and his/her talents away from the person they really are.  I know this is nothing new, and it's a fact we tend to want to know more and more about the pop stars, actors, and other kind of performers we admire, in order to sympathize more with them or just from plain curiosity.
I have never been too fond of Kelis, to be honest the only song I ever heard from her was Milkshake (and now that I remember, her vocal contribution to Timo Maas's Help Me some years ago), but after her recent comments to the press regarding the letters she received from PETA asking her not to wear fur, and her ridiculous, mocking, aggressive and tactless answers ("I would have fur walls if I could") stating her love of it (and therefore obvious insensitivity to animal suffering), have made me want to ignore and not even give a chance to her new album though I know it's been getting some good reviews.  Personally, I hope it TANKS, no matter how childish that might sound, I just can't help the feeling.  She really gets on my nerves.  Too bad Robyn has decided to tour with her.



                                         

Well, while we're on the subject, there's this new catchy, poppy song that I've had on repeat since I downloaded it.  I'm kind of infatuated with the lyrics and even though I was not seduced by the performer's voice at first, I'm liking it more and more each time.  It's The Boy Who Murdered Love, by Diana Vickers, a British singer who was a semi-finalist in The X Factor two years ago.



She's VERY young, she'll be turning 19 at the end of July, and though I love the song, like I stated before, I can't get over the fact that she's wearing a fur jacket towards the end of the video (which has a pretty cute aesthetic to it involving a cartoon-interfered reality and a hard-to-ingore cute male model). I'm hoping it's fake, though I doubt it, just so that I don't have to hate her.  I sound thirteen now, I know.
Here's the link to the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1wKCXbrK74


No comments: