Sunday, February 20, 2011

SOUL IS IN THE MUSICAL



After two failed attempts at going to the movies last night - even trying two different movie theaters- a friend and I settled for a movie at his place. We decided to watch The Tourist despite ALL the negative reviews it had received. Half-way through the movie we couldn't agree more with everyone who held this position, but what struck me the most was the terrible choice in music throughout the whole film. It was AWFUL.


 


 This immediately made me think of a scene in GASLIGHT which exemplifies the exact opposite: the perfect choice in music for one of the most dramatic moments in the film.  This is one of my favorite movies, I believe I've mentioned this before on this blog, and it is one I would come back to all the time as child.  Besides a couple other scenes, including one where the main character screams the name of her housekeeper a zillion times like a madwoman, this is a part I'd watch over and over again (and once again I am suprised my parents never sent me to therapy).



Here is Ingrid Bergman playing Paula Anton, the mentally tortured wife of Gregory Anton (played by Charles Boyer), suffering a crisis to the sound of one of Chopin's greatest pieces : Ballade No. 1, Op. 23 in G minor.  Enjoy.

No comments: